Once again Phoenix will be part of Improv Everywhere’s Global No Pants Subway Ride. This is a global event where thousands of people in dozens of cities all over the world will be riding their public transportation sans pants on the same day.
PHOENIX NO PANTS RIDE DETAILS
Here are the basics for the Phoenix ride:
- When: Sunday, January 13th at 1:00 pm (over around 4:00 pm).
- Bring: A backpack/bag for your pants and a Light Rail pass.
- Wear: Normal clothes – appropriate for the weather.
- Facebook Event: Right here. Please RSVP.
- Mid-ride Meetup: The Churchill (New Location!)
Rain or shine, warm or cold, we’re doing this and we hope you’ll join us!
We have four starting points this year – two on the east side, one at the airport, and one on the west side. The groups will board the first train that arrives after 1 pm.
Make sure you arrive in time to get a Light Rail pass from one of the machines at the stations! Each starting location will have at least one member of the Improv AZ core team to provide last-minute instructions if needed.
- West Phoenix – riders will board the first eastbound train from the 19th Ave./Dunlap stop at/after 1 pm.
- Sky Harbor Airport – riders will start in Terminal 4 (while wearing pants). Before 1 pm, remove your pants (publicly or in a bathroom) and meet your fellow pantsless riders next to the Arizona Highways (Arizona Thighways?) Store at 1 pm. We’ll walk to the Sky Train and take it to catch the light rail at the 44th St./Washington stop.
- ASU Tempe Campus – riders will board the first westbound train from the Veterans Way/College stop at/after 1 pm.
- Mesa – riders will board the first westbound train from the Sycamore/Main stop at/after 1 pm.
If you want to start somewhere else, go for it! You can join us anywhere you want, just board the first train leaving your station after 1 pm.
Where to Stop
Everyone will exit the train at the Central Ave./Roosevelt light rail stop. Our mid-ride meetup will be at The Churchill, about a block southeast of the light rail station.
The Churchill is an amazing local marketplace set up in repurposed shipping containers. They have lots of food, drink, and games, and will have an area set aside for us. This is an all-ages place, so minors are welcome. We’ll stay here for about an hour or so, but you are free to leave early if you need to, or stay later if you’re having fun.
WHAT TO WEAR
You can wear almost any type of underwear you want – except thongs or g-strings. Whatever you wear, make sure you keep your naughty bits covered so you don’t end up getting in trouble.
Take your pants off on the light rail platform or before you get there. If you’re worried you will be cold on the platform, you can take off your pants after you board the train, but it’s trickier with the crowd. If you wear pants to the event, bring a bag or purse to carry them once you drop your drawers.
Need inspiration? Check out the photos from our previous No Pants Light Rail Rides.
HOW TO ACT
Do NOT tell people you are doing a prank! While you’re riding, act as if nothing strange is going on – no matter what. Do what you’d normally do on the light rail – you have no idea why others are not wearing pants. If anyone asks, have a simple excuse prepared for why you’re not wearing pants – you were hot, you forgot them, etc.
We will have photographers on hand to take pictures documenting the event. We need everyone else to just be casual. If you bring a camera, be discreet and only take a few pictures. It’s supposed to look like a normal train ride.
Do not disrupt the Light Rail! While the Phoenix Police Department said that wearing your underwear in public isn’t illegal, don’t do anything dumb. You are responsible for all your actions during this event.
UPDATES AND PICTURES
The best ways to stay in the loop is to subscribe to our mailing list and please RSVP on the Facebook event – that’s where we will post any last-minute updates and where you can ask questions. It’s a great place to chat with your fellow pantsless riders about what socks and skivvies you’re going to wear on this year’s ride.
You can follow us on Twitter (@ImprovAZ).
The hashtags to use on Twitter (or Instagram, Flickr, or anywhere else is) #NoPantsPhx and #NPSR.
Leave a Reply