Once again we saw people spot the distinctive clothing and grin as they scanned the crowd (and ice rink) looking for Waldo. Even Santa got in on the fun. It was a wonderful way to spread some smiles around Christmastime.
Where’s Waldo details
We wanted a fun, easy flash mob before the holidays, and who doesn’t love Where’s Waldo? All you need to do is dress up as a character you might see in a Waldo picture and join us!
- When: Saturday, December 10th, 2:45pm
- Where: CityScape in Phoenix (map)
- Meet at: CityScape Starbucks
- Light Rail: CityScape is right next to the Central/Washington or Jefferson/1st Ave stops
- Parking: If you’re driving down, there should be plenty of parking downtown on the weekend.
- Facebook Event: Right here (Please share!)
Other Importantish Info
- Meet at the CityScape Starbucks (west side of CityScape) at 2:45 to get organized. We will start the flash mob at 3:00.
- Be creative, but don’t dress exactly like Waldo. A Waldo will be provided.
- Bring something to do, like read a book, play catch, etc. There is an open courtyard at CityScape, lots of steps, and places to sit/stand. The CitySkate ice-skating rink will be open if you want to do that.
- CityScape is free to get into, but there is a fee if you want to skate.
- We may head over to Angel’s Trumpet Ale House for a drink afterwards. This is entirely optional.
See you tomorrow!
No Pants Light Rail Ride date is set
Also, we have a date for the 8th No Pants Light Rail Ride! It’ll be January 8th. We’re still working out all the details, but you can RSVP on the No Pants Facebook Event if you want to keep up to date.
~ The Improv AZ Team
The crew at Improv AZ decided to relive their childhoods and create a living version of Where’s Waldo at Tempe Marketplace. Nearly 100 people donned red and white striped apparel and gathered outside Dave and Busters on Saturday, April 23, 2011. Like the pictures in the Where’s Waldo books, we had one true Waldo in the official Waldo costume, and dozens of red and white lookalikes.
The group began to assemble just before 1pm. Security was concerned by the abundance of red and white striped shirts and it took some reassurance from the organizers that it was a short, innocuous prank in order for us to proceed. For about 20 minutes, the group chatted and mingled while stunned shoppers looked on. Many of the onlookers instantly got the joke, while others took some prompting. A few of our cohorts moved through the crowd of onlookers with a flyer showing a picture of our “real” Waldo and asking the strangers if they’d seen our friend. Anyone who didn’t understand what was going on before instantly smiled, giggled, and got the prank.
We had all kinds of Waldos – Dog Waldo, Gnome Waldo, Steampunk Waldo, Jester Waldo, Musician Waldos, Baby Waldo, and more! In preparation for this event, many participants flocked to stores in search of red and white striped shirts. One participant said that the clerk at their thrift store remarked that asignificant number of people had come to the store that week on a similar quest. Others opted to make their own shirts by applying red tape to white shirts or vice versa.
You can check out Flickr to see all the great Where’s Waldo flash mob pictures!
At the end of the prank, we took some group photos and dispersed. Many ventured in to Dave and Busters for a drink or a bite. The wait staff was completely oblivious to what had just transpired outsideand looked bewildered at all the red and white shirts in the dining room. When we explained what occurred, they couldn’t help but laugh.
After all, who doesn’t love Waldo?