The 8th Annual No Pants Light Rail Ride in Phoenix is this Sunday, January 10th. This is part of The No Pants Subway Ride, which is a global event started by Improv Everywhere in New York in 2002. Thirty-three cities around the world are participating this year!
Here are the details for the Phoenix ride:
- When: Sunday, January 10 at 1:00 pm (Over around 4 pm)
- Where: 4 starting locations – details below
- Bring: A backpack/bag and a Light Rail pass
- Wear: Normal winter clothes (jacket, hat, etc.)
- Facebook Event: Right here. Please RSVP.
- Mid-ride party: Angels Trumpet Ale House
We know it’s been rainy this week, but the forecast says it’s not as likely to rain on Sunday. But rain or shine, warm or cold, we’re doing this and we hope you’ll join us!
HOW IT WORKS
You can wear almost any type of underwear you want – except thongs or g-strings. If you’re going to wear boxers we encourage you to wear briefs underneath them in case your fly separates – you can get in trouble for indecent exposure if you reveal too much!
Take your pants off on the light rail platform or before you get there. If you’re worried you will be cold on the platform, you can take off your pants on the train, just be aware that it’s trickier and more crowded. If you are wearing your pants to the event, bring a bag or purse to carry them once you de-pants.
If you’re starting at the airport location, wear your pants to the airport and take them off just before we start.
HOW TO ACT
Do NOT tell people you are doing a prank! While you’re riding, act as if nothing strange is going on – no matter what. Do what you’d normally do on the light rail – you have no idea why others are not wearing pants. If anyone asks, have a simple excuse prepared for why you’re not wearing pants – you were hot, you forgot them, etc.
We will have photographers on hand to take pictures documenting the event. We need everyone else to just act casually. If you bring a camera, be very discreet and only take a few pictures. It’s supposed to look like a normal train ride.
Don’t disrupt the Light Rail! While the Phoenix Police Department said that wearing your underwear in public isn’t illegal, but don’t do anything dumb. You are responsible for all your actions during this event.
We have four main starting points with two starting locations for the east side riders. Just go to one of the starting points listed below, and board the first train that arrives after 1 pm. Make sure you arrive in time to get a Light Rail pass from one of the machines at the stations! Each starting location will have at least one member of the Improv AZ core team to provide last-minute instructions if needed.
- West Side – riders will board the first eastbound train from the 19th Ave./Montebello stop at/after 1 pm.
- Far East Side – riders will board the first westbound train from the Sycamore/Main stop at/after 1 pm.
- ASU Stop – riders will board the first westbound train from the Veterans Way/College Ave. stop (TransitCenter) at/after 1 pm.
- Sky Harbor Airport riders will start in Terminal 4 (while wearing pants). Before 1 pm, remove your pants (publicly or in a bathroom) and meet your fellow pantsless riders next to the A-Z Kids Store at 1 pm. We’ll walk to the Sky Train and take it to catch the light rail at the 44th Street/Washington Stop.
Here’s a handy Google map with all the major stops and locations.
WHERE TO STOP
Everyone will exit the train at the Central Ave/Roosevelt Light Rail Stop. Our mid-ride party will be at Angels Trumpet Ale House (about a 5-minute walk from the light rail). They will have some specials for us if you want to grab a bite or a pint. This is an all-ages place, so minors are welcome. We’ll stay here for about an hour or so, but you are free to leave early if you need to, or stay later if you’re having fun.
UPDATES AND PICTURES
Please RSVP for the Facebook Event – that’s where we will post any last minute updates and where you can ask questions.
You can follow us on Twitter (@ImprovAZ).
The hashtags to use for Twitter (or Instagram, Flickr, or anywhere else is) #NoPantsPhx and #NPSR
SPECIAL MESSAGE FOR THE MEDIA
We know you might show up at the No Pants Light Rail Ride. Please note, we tell our participants not to give interviews or pose for pictures unless you’re participating in the event. This is a “No Wallflowers” event so we hope you’ll don your favorite fancy undies and join in the fun.